Saturday, September 25, 2010

Old Dogs and New Tricks




Technology is a wonderful thing. Twelve years ago when I began my first job in the government as a writer/editor, I had to ask how to turn on the computer. Who knew that one day I would be blogging, twittering, facebooking, Blackberrying and uploading? Yesterday at work, my coworker Katherine Brown showed me how to post pictures within the text of my blog. To the left and above is a photo that was taken at the Capital Crime Writers pub night in the spring and the big one above that (I can adjust size :-) is in Toronto at Bloody Words mystery conference this past spring. This is genius. Now, if only I could learn to work the remote and reset digital clocks, my world would be complete.

This week, I completed a detailed questionnaire for Orca publishers. I also confirmed a signing at McNally Robinson in Saskatoon on November 4th, a signing at Chapters in Oakville on October 26th with Mary Jane Maffini , a reading at Canadian Authors Association meeting at the Ottawa Public Library on October 12th, and the bookseller Books on Beechwood for the November 16th launch with Barb Fradkin. It's going to be a busy season. I also have to get working on completing the manscript for Napoleon due out next fall. Oh yes - curling starts this week with an opening bonspiel.

I think this calls for a list.

We were out to dinner last night with our good friends Ann and Ken at Petit Bill's restaurant on Wellington Street, just outside Westboro village. What a great little spot - I had crab cakes and shrimp and scallop on angel hair pasta topped off with the bread pudding. A place to try if you ever are in Ottawa. (I could come with you, if necessary.) We then dropped down to Whispers to see our daughter Julia.

I love watching my daughters, waitressing, curling, it doesn't matter - just seeing them makes my heart full and proud. This is a mother moment.

It's time to make another cup of coffee and get the day gently underway. I hope you are having a relaxing weekend and refueling for the week ahead.





















No comments:

Post a Comment