Friday, November 12, 2010

Down but not out

A week ago at this time, I was on a plane flying home from the work retreat at the Wanuskewin Heritage Park, fifteen minutes outside of Saskatoon. I'd never set foot in Saskatchewan before and had my first look at the flat land that stretched for miles only ending when it ran into the robin's egg blue prairie sky. Anyhow, when my plane finally landed in Ottawa after midnight and I'd made it safely home, a sore throat decided to take hold. My body was of the opinion that I needed another week off work to pay for my travels. It might have tried for two weeks but for a trip to the doctor and some mighty fine antibiotics that are working their magic.

Before taking to my bed, I managed to complete a review of the edits from Orca for the Rapid Reads manuscript. Most of the changes were style and some were questions about plot details so it didn't take me too long. The next time I see the manuscript, it will be the page proofs. I'm also looking forward to seeing the cover - I've no idea what it will be.

I also fit in a coffee chat with Barbara Fradkin last Sunday morning before I crashed. We divided up a few tasks for our launch this coming Tuesday evening - 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Library and Archives on Wellington Street - everyone is invited. Mary Jane Maffini will MC and it should be a fun evening. We're even going to do short readings, not something I ever managed for my kids' book launches in Whispers pub. (Kids' books in a pub; adult books in a library - not sure I got the sequence right.)


Well, this promises to be another gorgeous November weekend with temps around nine on Saturday. I swear to you and my sick husband (whom I can hear coughing upstairs) that I am planting tulips tomorrow and washing the car. Enough procrastinating. If I don't get the bulbs into the ground, just what are the squirrels going to dig up for their mid-winter snack?

No comments:

Post a Comment