Friday, May 20, 2011

Beer and Cupcakes


Well, The Second Wife is officially launched along with Jeff Ross's first YA novel, The Drop, and Barbara Fradkin's Rapid Reads' mystery, The Fall Guy. It was a great time with about 130 people coming by The Clocktower Pub to help celebrate. Books on Beechwood sold our books, Orca Publishers supplied appetizers and Jeff's wife Megan made platefuls of delicious cupcakes. It was a relaxed affair and I enjoyed the afternoon immensely. Note to self: All future book launches should be in a pub.

Although, I have to say, Tom Curran's launch in Collected Works bookstore on Wednesday night was also great fun and well attended. Tom released the third in his Inspector Stride series, Death of a Lesser Man (love the title) and served free wine and appetizers galore. A few months ago, when I went to Tim Wynne-Jones's launch at Collected Works, I got home and realized I hadn't paid for his book, which I'd had signed and carted home. I phoned in my credit card number right smartly - you can't be too careful where authors killing people off in books are involved - anyhow, I made sure to pay this time.

And today, off to Joan of Arc Academy in the west end to talk to a grade seven and a grade eight class about mysteries. This is an all-girls school and my second visit although the previous time was about five years ago. What lovely girls - attentive and involved. They asked a lot of thoughtful questions and it was a delight to spend an hour with them.

So what's next, you ask? This Friday night, I've been invited to speak about writing and read from my work at the Unitarian Church on Cleary Avenue as part of their monthly arts night. I'm looking forward to the evening - they also have a visual artist and musician as part of the guest roster. Everyone is invited so come out if you are able.

I'll say one thing for all this rain we've been having - it's a lush, green world out there. As I type, a thunder storm is bearing down on the Capital and the rain is pattering on the roof. Nothing like a good old thunder storm when you're safely tucked inside.

Tomorrow, as luck would have it, promises to be sunny and warm with NO rain - I hope you find time to sit outside in a lawn chair with a cupcake, glass of wine and a good book :-) Happy long weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Thx for the info… congrats to all. And yes, I am hoping for a rain free weekend, so far so good.

    Drop by sometime, I would love to hear your opinion.
    http://authorsunion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff - thanks for all your comments and hope you are enjoying a fine long weekend. It's finally feeling like summer.

    ReplyDelete