Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Countdown


Two weeks until Christmas. I've mailed out the Christmas cards, and nearly bought all my gifts, spending last evening wrapping. The turkey is on order and Ted and I made our annual trip to the liquor store to stock up, as did just about everyone in Westboro yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling almost in control. Next, I'll start baking and getting supper menus lined up - it's almost hard to fathom the preparation that goes into these few days every year.

The Capital Crime Writers' Christmas dinner is this Wednesday evening and I'm looking forward to hearing Howard Shrier talk about his writing life. He writes the PI Jonah Geller series set in Toronto. The first two books in the series, Buffalo Jump and High Chicago both won Arthur Ellis awards, a rather extraordinary feat. Still 12 spots remaining if you would like to register. Just go to www.capitalcrimewriters.com and click on News.

I've taken a few weeks off writing but am starting to get itchy fingers. It'll soon be time to start a new project, but I'll need to tidy up a few other manuscripts first. I'm quite happy with the way Second Chances is shaping up and look forward to seeing the final version before it goes to press. I also want to finish editing the adult mystery I am working on and take another crack at the Rapid Reads sequel. Good job I find all this work fun :-)

I echo Syvlia McConnell's note on Facebook to give books this Christmas. I was in my local bookstore yesterday and there are some great reads to be purchased this year. There's nothing like curling up with a good book (especially a Canadian mystery) in front of the fireplace with a cup of tea or glass of wine. The cares of the world are on hold for a while as your imagination takes hold in a world created by the author. I've already asked for a few mysteries to be put in my stocking. I have the entire week off between Christmas and New Year's and intend to make good, lazy use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment