Saturday, February 18, 2012

Puttering Away My Saturday

This Saturday has drifted by without a plan. I got up early and worked on a manuscript, worked out, went shopping, wrote some more and watched the opening game of the Scotties (curling for those who do not know), made supper, ate supper, and now, I'm back to do some more writing. Oh yes, and I played around with my new Canon camera - a pocket camera but it takes video - I'm determined to become proficient. I lost the instructions to my last camera and never did learn how to operate it beyond the basic point and shoot. I can't tell you how annoying that double flash was, but I had no idea what button to push to get rid of it. Anyhow, here is my first photo of my office reading space. All the debris from opening my new camera is strewn about.



I attended Peggy Blair's book launch for her first mystery The Beggar's Opera on Thursday night. She held it in Orange art gallery near the Parkdale Market. Her book is set in Cuba and the theme for the evening was Latin - music, food, artwork . . . it was a great event. Peggy tells the story of meeting Ian Rankin in a bar in Great Britain and asking to have a photo taken with him. She'd gone over for the Debut Dagger awards, being shortlisted but not winning, and she was on her way back to Ottawa. Anyhow, she and Ian got to chatting and he said to call his agent and mention he'd recommended her. The rest, as they say, is history. A two book deal with Penguin and notable reviews. For authors, the scenario is like winning the lottory.

Sad news today for Capital Crime Writers. Trevor Hodge, one of our long-time members, died in his sleep at the age of 82. He was a member of the group when I joined and regularly attended meetings and events. He was always smiling and friendly and entertained us with readings from his work at the annual pub night. I found out today that he used to be a professor at Carleton U. and taught the Classics. We will certainly miss him at our meetings - it's hard to imagine him not there.

Well, I'd best get back to my writing before the next curling game comes on tv. It's amazing how you can putter away a day. I've also started reading Peggy's book and find the premise fascinating - a cop who sees ghosts of murdered victims . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment