Sunday, September 23, 2012

Autumn Events

Well, it turned into a fine day for the launch of Second Chances at Collected Works bookstore on the official first day of fall. Close to a hundred people dropped by with food and wine to help with the mingling. Around three o'clock, Councillor Katherine Hobbs introduced me and said some very kind words about my writing and Second Chances, which she said moved her to tears toward the end. High praise to have someone feel what your characters are feeling. Also, MPP Yasir Naqvi came by and spoke for a few minutes to the crowd. A huge thank you to both Katherine and Yasir for your support and to all those who came out, especially my good buddy Dawn Rayner who came all the way from Toronto.

Unfortunately, I was so busy that I didn't remember my camera until the end of the event; however, my friend Patrick Walton was there with his video camera in hand and I should soon have a video of the afternoon to share.

I've got a few events and signings on the horizon.  This coming Saturday, I'll be travelling to Smiths Falls to give a short story workshop to kids at the Smiths Falls Public Library. This event is part of Culture Days and I'm looking forward to getting creative with the kids.

Then, the first week of October, I'm off to Cleveland to Bouchercon and upon my return, Ted and I will be heading for an overnight in Kingston where I'll be scouting out locations for my sequel to Cold Mourning. Cold Mourning is set in Ottawa, but I move my protagonist to Kingston for the second book. I lived in Kingston for a year when I went to teachers' college. I wanted a smaller city for the setting and Kingston is such a beautiful location, especially in the fall. (I promised Ted that she might go on an Italian boat cruise next.)

I'm also slated to be on a Capital Crime Writers panel with Jeff Ross and Barbara Fradkin on Wednesday, October 10 to speak about the adult literacy market and Rapid Reads. I'm sure we'll get into a discussion about publishing in general and writing for different markets.

Two Ottawa book signings are also coming up: 

Saturday, October 27, Brittons's in the Glebe (846 Bank Street) from one to three p.m.; and
Saturday, November 10, Books on Beechwood (35 Beechwood Avenue) from one to three p.m.

And perhaps even more monumental this week, Ted completed the small bedroom and we're getting ready to buy furniture to populate it . . . he finished this painting project in just under a year.

Lots of reasons to celebrate :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment