Saturday, March 9, 2013

March . . . ing On

For those of you who missed the Facebook posting of my new book from Grass Roots Press, to be released this September here it is:

Kudos to the designer Lara Minja. This is the first in a series of quick-read mysteries along the lines of Rapid Reads and The Second Wife. I set the series in Ottawa and readers from here will recognize sections of the city, including Westboro and Manotick. The premise is that Anna Sweet, a retired cop in her late twenties, is working in seedy bars as she makes her way across the U.S., avoiding responsiblity and trying to forget some serious crap. She gets a call late one night that her sister Cheri has been in a car accident back in Ottawa. Cheri believes someone is out to kill her. Part of the serious crap is that Cheri slept with Anna's fiance so Anna is conflicted about rushing home to 'save' her. But the sister bond wins out. Anna returns home reluctantly and is immediately drawn into the mystery. I'm pumped about this series and can't wait for you to read My Sister's Keeper.

Well, I've finished reading all 250 short story entries for the Awesome Authors contest and I've completed judging two of the age categories with one to go. I'll have that done by the end of the weekend. I just love reading each story because I know what it takes to put your work out there to be judged and these kids have worked hard to produce a good story . . . and some of them are excellent.

I've managed to get some writing in and will be putting in more time as my curling season winds down and golf season starts (I don't golf, but Ted does so I write all morning when he's on the links :-) I've also gotten used to writing on my laptop and can see myself on the front deck, enjoying the summer day and typing away. Ahhh summer. Sun, heat, no snow.

I'm meeting up with my good friend Alex Brett tomorrow as she passes me her newly completed manuscript for a read and feedback. I'm excited because Alex is such a good writer and she's worked a long time on this manuscript. Can't wait to read it! I also have Cold Mourning (Dundurn spring 2014) with C.B. Forrest, who is reading it with a view to giving a cover quote.

We had a family dinner last night at Agave Grill to celebrate our daughter Lisa Weagle's Scotties win. Tonight is a big send-off party at the Ottawa Curling Club with the public invited - begins at 7:30. The team leaves for Latvia on Monday to play in the worlds. The first game is televised on TSN at 1 pm Eastern time next Saturday, March 16. The girls are chomping to get back on the ice and compete for Canada.  We're just so proud of all they've accomplished and wish them good curling all next week! This is a photo of a banner that Lisa's work colleagues made for her:

GO TEAM CANADA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment