Saturday, March 16, 2013

World Class

A few things to report in my wrtiting world.

I'm managed to get in some writing hours on my latest manuscript and will put in more time this weekend. I also finished judging the Awesome Authors contest and sent in my list of winners to the Ottawa Public Library organizer. The awards evening is two weeks from now and I'll be there to call out the winners for the English short stories - always an exciting evening for the young authors.

I'm heading into Quebec to Symmes-D'Arcy McGee High School on Tuesday to visit Mr. Cooper's writing class to discuss  . . . what else, writing and the publishing world. I'm looking forward to meeting the class, which publishes a literary magazine every year, so I know they're keen on creative writing.

I also confirmed with Dundurn that Cold Mourning will be released March 1, 2014 and so I booked into Left Coast Crime in Monterey California next spring. Some of the Ladies Killing Circle are going as is my friend Jan Bowick so there will be lots of company en route. This conference is held in a different American town or city somewhere along the Pacific Coast every year at the same time. If you have a look at the resort we're staying at in Monterey by the sea, you might just think about booking too:-) Look out your window at the snow and think about palm trees, heat and surf . . . . I'm planning to go to Bloody Words mystery conference in Toronto and another in the northeastern U.S. called Malice Domestic next year as well. I'll just keep a packed suitcase under my bed.

Finally, in my writing world, I went to hear Staff Sergeant Lynn Turnbull speak about crisis negotiations and tactical interventions on Wednesday evening at Capital Crime Writers. Lynn is a negotiator with the Ottawa Police with many years of experience and many case studies to share. She held us spellbound and gave us a lot of useful information - all I can say is that if I ever have an 'incident', I'd like Sergeant Turnbull to talk me down.

And now, the exciting part of my blog this week: Ladies Curling Worlds start today in Latvia! The first Canadian game is being broadcast at 1:00 pm EDT on TSN. The girls had an adventurous trip over, getting stuck in the Frankfurt Airport for about 30 hours because of a freak snowstorm that hit Europe and caused the cancellation of all flights for the day and night. Luckily, all their equipment and luggage made it to Riga with them when they finally got on a flight, and they've had three nights to recooperate.

And today, the curling begins!







No comments:

Post a Comment