Saturday, January 2, 2016

Slipping into 2016

Happy New Year one and all as we round the corner into 2016. New calendar years always seem like a chance to get our lives together - to take on projects with fresh eyes or to start something new. Kind of a refresher to jump start our everyday existence and remind us that we are masters of our own lives.

This will be a particularly exciting year for me as Tumbled Graves comes out late February, immediately before I retire from working in the government. I can then pursue my writing full-time, which I know will be a wonderful thing. I will have completed the manuscript I am working on now and well into the fifth Stonechild and Rouleau - I have an idea percolating and am eager to get at the first chapter. The fourth Stonechild currently entitled Shallow End is with my editor and we'll be spending some time this year editing it. I'll also be promoting Tumbled Graves, beginning with a launch at Whispers pub on Sunday, April 3, and a trip to Phoenix in February to Left Coast Crime. As my supervisor at work told me last week, "I have no worries about you finding something to do once you retire." :-)

I have no word yet on when my appearance on Ellie's Read on Ottawa with Barb Fradkin and Mike Martin will appear on Cable 22, but it should be later this month. I'll let you know once I know.

I hope that you got some good books for Christmas. I'm currently re-reading Denise Mina's The Dead Hour and think you would enjoy this series if you haven't already read it. It's gritty and so well drawn, characters and setting both. If I had to name one of my writing influences, this book would be a good place to start.

Well, not much else to report today. I'm still stuffed from holiday food and wine and lazy from stretching out next to the fire reading, writing and puttering around the house. I'm thankful for the past few weeks spending time with family and friends, enjoying this respite from life's demands. As we all know, these come soon enough.

So, put the kettle on, put your feet up and have another cup of tea. Let's enjoy easing into the new year together and take a moment to give thanks for all that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment