Saturday, June 10, 2017

Sunny June Days

So this week, the Bleeding Darkness cover came together. I worked with the designer Laura Boyle to come up with the concept, and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to fine tune, she created a cover that I think works really well. I wanted the mood to be dark and ominous with the woods as the main image. I hope you like it as much as I do :-)



The Chapters Kanata signing went well last Saturday - such terrific people working at this store and always make me feel welcome. In fact, the general manager Amanda invited me back as often as I would like! I always meet interesting people as I stand offering bookmarks and try to introduce my books. I'm getting comfortable with the sales bit although I wouldn't say I'm a natural. And you wouldn't believe how many people ask if I'm really the author of these books (as opposed to a Chapters employee).



Another week settling in to write although I spent the last few days working on my laptop out on the back deck. I've fallen into writing in the late morning/early afternoon and sometimes edit after supper. Approaching 41,000 words this week. I've also been mulling over a title as Dundurn would like a title and synopsis - on my to do list. Here's my shady spot in the back yard.




This Friday evening, Louise Penny will be appearing at the Ottawa International Writers Festival and I'm very much looking forward to her interview. I met Louise for the first time at the start of both our writing careers at an Arthur Ellis dinner in Toronto in 2004. Both of our first books were released that year, mine a young adult mystery named Running Scared, and Louise's the first in her Inspector Gamache series, Still Life.  The next year, we were both back at the Arthur Ellis dinner and Louise's book won every award going! Her writing career has skyrocketed as she consistently writes international bestsellers. I was lucky enough to be on a panel with Louise at Left Coast Crime in Monterey in 2014 along with Ann Cleeves, Deborah Crombie and Kathy Bennett. If you're unable to attend this Friday's event, Louise will be the Canadian guest of honour at Bouchercon in Toronto this October. Ann Cleeves will also be attending. Should be another great event.

             Sharing a laugh ( l to r) Ann Cleeves, Deborah Crombie, Louise Penny and me
                      Ann Cleeves, Deborah Crombie, Louise Penny, me and Kathy Bennett

The weather has made a turn for the better this week! Sunshine and warmth at long last. My garden's in bloom as summer sweeps into the Ottawa Valley. I love this time of year.






No comments:

Post a Comment