Saturday, January 6, 2018

A Bomb Cyclone?!

Another week of deep freeze in Ottawa and across much of Eastern Canada. We've been at minus 30 to 40 with the wind chill for almost two weeks with the exception of a two-day break. Strange when minus fourteen feels balmy. As well, tornado strength winds and storm surges barrelled up the coast from Florida to Newfoundland the last few days - a bomb cyclone according to meteorologists. The name alone is shiver-inducing. The sight of cold-blooded ginkos lying frozen under palm trees was the oddest sight on television Makes you realize just how bizarre our climate is becoming.

Perhaps to counter all the winter weather, I spent a few days getting the Bleeding Darkness Ottawa launch lined up. So save the date! Sunday, June 3rd from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., we will be celebrating at the Cross on Elgin (360 Elgin to be exact). Perfect Books will be the bookseller at the event and the band Green Floyd will be providing some musical entertainment. The lead singer Bernie is a good friend and I've been to a number of the band's gigs - this is sure to be a fun,  rockin afternoon!


So, I've been working away on my novella and have about 1500 words to go. I was rounding into the climax of the story when my computer malfunctioned yesterday morning. When I go to log on, the screen goes black. Ted and I both tried to get the computer working without success. I now have a call in to my friend's son Nathan who got me set up on this MacBook Air. As you can imagine, I'm eager to get the book finished while I still have the momentum going, and I'm worried that I won't get access to the manuscript. I have most of it on my laptop and most printed except for the last few chapters but really don't want to have to rewrite the last chunk. Really don't want to.

I was up early this morning with my friend Trooper. We went for a walk in the dark but even he found it too cold after a couple of minutes so back inside we came. This is going to be a stay-inside kind of day. A day to drink lots of hot coffee and to hunker down near the gas fireplace. If I can get my computer back online, it will be a good day for writing too.

Wishing everyone a good, warm week. June will be here before we know it :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment